You have insurance for your church now what? Most churches assume they have all the insurance coverages they need or are supposed to have. This assumption can be a bit misguided as many agents don’t understand insurance for churches or are only focused on price so they remove coverage to win the account.
Also most churches assume the language within each church insurance policy are the same no matter which carrier they have or are considering using in the future. That is until they file a claim.
Determining what type of church insurance coverage you need for your church doesn’t have to be difficult. Integrity Now Insurance Brokers, specializes in church insurance. In working with a specialist we make obtain insurance for your church as painless as possible. And because we have access to a number of national insurance carriers that also specialize in insurance for churches we can help your church from a budget point of view without sacrificing coverage.
A great starting point is to ask some of the same questions that you would ask about your own personal liabilities that you have at home or when your driving your personal car.
Insurance policies come in many forms and have many different purposes.
What (and who) do you want the insurance to cover?
What amount of insurance coverage does your church need?
Is the building coverage enough to rebuild your church in the event of a fire?
Should we purchase an umbrella policy to deal with a catastrophic liability claim?
Am I over insured?
How long will you need the coverage for?
What’s your budget for insurance?
When we think of the policies that a church might need, they could include: (Many churches only consider the first 5 coverages on the below list)
- General liability Insurance
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- Property Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
- Owned, Non-owned and hired auto liability
- Directors, officers and trustees officers liability
- Pastoral counseling
- Employment practices liability
- Sexual misconduct liability
- Employee benefits liability
- Lost wages coverage
- Counselors liability (licensed and fee-based)
- Equipment breakdown, including computers, boilers, and electrical equipment.
- Newly acquired or constructed property (our limits exceed industry standards).
- Pastor’s personal property.
- Ordinance or law – building updates to meet with current building codes following a covered loss.
- Stained glass windows.
- Crime (Internal and External)
- Inland Marine – equipment that is being transported
- Personal Effects and property of others on a worldwide basis; for example, property lost on a mission trip.
- Fire and security alarm upgrade – reasonable additional costs to upgrade your system when replaced due to a covered cause of loss.
- Utility services interruption (direct damage and time element) for example, a storm knocks out usage of your utilities and causes damage.
- Automated external defibrillators (AED).
- Indirect loss, such as the loss of church income and tuition fees resulting from a covered peril, including a violent incident; e.g., a church intruder.
- Earthquake sprinkler leakage.
- Earthquake coverage for your building and business personal property
- Green upgrade coverage – pays for the reasonable additional costs to upgrade to more energy efficient and environmentally friendly building elements and appliances in the event of a covered loss.
- Key person replacement coverage – provides for the reimbursement of recruitment expenses to replace a senior or executive pastor who dies in a work-related accident.
- Limited flood coverage – provides building and personal property coverage on a limited basis when loss or damage is a direct result of flood.
- Group Benefits
- Group Health Insurance
- Group Term Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Group Pet Insurance
As you can see there are many different types of insurance that can be included in your policy or excluded from a policy. it is important to have a trusted advisor like Integrity Now Insurance Brokers to ensure your church insurance program is structured to protect your churches and your church members. There are many ways that insurance can benefit your church.
Please contact us to find out how we can help you with your insurance needs.
Integrity Now Insurance Brokers, Inc.